Saturday, March 6, 2010

What's Next?

I've completed three books. One is published, I'm days or weeks away from publishing another, and working on how I want to go about publishing the other.

I'm excited about Broken Light and getting it out there to circulate through the hands of many readers. I wish things were easier sometimes though. Self-publishing has it's bumps in the road but they're not big enough to cause me heartache... yet! I love the feeling of being in control over the process of my book, using my art degree to design it, "forcing" my husband to design the covers, and kinda-sorta choosing my own price. The downside to Broken Light is that in order to reduce the price and keep it that way after the retail markup is to use a publisher grade printing. Unfortunately that means no distribution and no overseas sales. I don't know however if that means I can't place it on goodreads.com for giveaways. I guess that means I'd be holding contests for it on my website which I did with The Vernore Gene and only had three people participate. Perhaps I'll try a Facebook giveaway this time.

As for The Lyon's Key, I'm still in the process of thinking/editing/rewriting it for traditional publication. At this moment, I like Broken Light better but again it's hard to compare a book of one style to another. This type of thing takes years so in the mean time my next "to do book" on my list is the sequel to The Vernore Gene. I feel like I've been putting it off but if you've read it you know I have a lot to work out in order to close the whole thing off in two more books. And I may have promised somewhere that their would be a supplement story of Dierno's life.

Oh no! I forgot about Friendship Cheese! That will be next. My children's book about finding an unlikely friendship is in the works. Pictures are drawn, words are written, but the kids need color in their book. Once that's complete I'll be able to get cracking on the distribution of that. Fun. Fun. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment